Saturday, February 23, 2013

A Declamation Piece: "Sanity on Fire"


 

Heyyy bats! In 2 days I'll be delivering a declamation piece. I was asked to be a contestant (AGAIN), and I couldn't just refuse. I love taking part in anything if I have what it takes to be so. :3

Okaaaayy, I admit, I'm not so sure if this thing I just wrote is really a declamation piece, as I've never tried writing one before, and I'm not quite experienced with declamations. When I tried using a stopwatch as I recited it, the piece runs for 8 to 10 minutes when recited! O.o But anyway, I'm just gonna give it a try.

This piece is heavily inspired by American McGee's Alice and Alice: Madness Returns, Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, and Emilie Autumn. ♥

Sanity on Fire
MINXIE
A Declamation Piece?


I wake up.
It's the same bad dream. A house in flames.. and voices.. shrieks.
It has always been the same bad dream! *laughs*

*gasp*
 
*sniff, sniff, sniff, sniff*
Doctor? *sniff, sniff, sniff* Doctor? Doctor! *sniff, sniff* F-Firemen! I smell the scent of gasoline in my cell! My cell.. My cell is on fire! I smell smoke! Doctor! Firemen! It's blazing in here! HEEEEELP--

Oh.

Hi Doctor. I was just playing around so you can come by and.. let me out.
PLEASE! I'm not mad! I'm not mad! I only want to end my life.. Please! LET ME! Please..

Huh?

The doctor's gone. Maybe I just imagined him again. Oh well.

A crowd? So many people! How -- how did you get here?! Who are you?! Who let you in?! How long have you been watching me here?! *gasp* Oh, I get it now. You've all come here to rescue me! Is that it? I can't just be imagining all of you here, can I?

Please let me out of here! I'm not insane! I'm not fit to be imprisoned in a filthy cell such as this! I'm the daughter of a landlord! I can't be here! Please! Please! Please.. I'm Mr. Kingsleigh's daughter.. Please..

I only have 2 hours 'til the jailer checks the cells.. 2 hours 'til the jailer locks me up permanently.. 2 hours and.. my family burns in the fire.. Oh, they are screaming! They are crying for me! PLEASE! I have to save them! Please..

WHAT? How dare! I did not start the fire! It wasn't me! It wasn't me! It wasn't me.. Why wouldn't anyone believe me? I'm innocent!

Yes, my twin sister and I loved each other more than anything else in the world. Our similarities never bothered us because it was funny how most people didn't know how to tell us apart. It was funny until then.. Until then. SHE DID IT! She did it! She.. She did it! She.. did it. She.. was obsessed with her lover. Unfortunately, mother and father had to arrange a marriage for her. She was to be married to a landlord for financial reasons. Yet.. she was with child. Her lover's. Thus mother and father had to get rid of the child once it's born.

I can still remember the cold little corpse being thrown into the nearby river. OH, IT WAS HORRIBLE!

My sister became quiet for months, and she cried whenever she received presents from her fiance. She told me she heard an infant crying every night and she couldn't sleep. She became distant, lethargic.. At most times, she did not move.

She served us tea one afternoon. She was surprisingly happy then, smiling as she poured the tea to our cups. Her tea was peculiar, though. Too sweet.. too thick.. It made us dizzy..

*faints*
 
I wake up. I'm in my room!

*sniff, sniff, sniff*
*gasp* SMOKE! SMOKE! All around me! The house is on fire!

I run to the door. It's locked! "Mommy! Daddy! Elizabeth!" I turn around and find my window open. I must quickly jump out to ask for help from the neighbors. As I open my mouth to scream for help, I hear my window being shut. I look back. I see my sister through the glass. She is smiling.. victoriously.. peacefully.. readily.. horrifyingly! She begins to burn.. to melt.. Flesh dripping.. darkening.. stripping down.. and slowly eaten by flames.

The house gradually crumbles right in front of my eyes. I could hardly move because of what I just learned.

The neighbors approached, bringing buckets of water. I still could not move. My mind stopped keeping pace with time. All things that moved are speeding past me.. blurry.. surreal. I could hardly hear their running steps.. their consolation.. their accusations. All I could hear is the crackling and hissing fire! The screams of my parents! I'm gradually losing touch with reality.

They brought me to my relatives to be taken care of. BUT I DO NOT WISH TO BE TAKEN CARE OF! The desire to lose this life continues to stain my innocent mind. However, they keep me from doing it.

Rope tied around my neck, one step from this stool and I shall taste the blissfully deadly grip that has the power to take me to another world.

One, two, three! GERONIMO! *closes eyes*
*jumps*
*opens eyes*

It did not.. work! Oh for the love of --
The rope is too long!

"Iracebeth? Can I come in? I have your dinner. Um, I'm coming in now Iracebeth."

*sighs* Maybe next time, Rope.

My aunt is looking at me.
Hi aunt. Meet Rope, a friend.

Of course she screamed, and in an hour, men in white came in the house and took me away.

They imprisoned me in a cell because everyone thought of me as dangerous -- having burned my own family while watching the house break down and such -- and suicidal. They tell me I'm on suicide watch and under treatment!
 
*laughs* HOW STUPID! I'm not mad! Insanity remains to be misunderstood, ladies and gentlemen! I'm not mad. I'm not mad! I'm not mad! I'M NOT MAAAAAD!!! *screams* My mother.. She's screaming! My father needs me! Please! Please! Let me out.. Let me out! They're burning! I have to save them! Please.. I'm not mad.. I'm not mad!

I'M NOT MAAAAAD!!!

*END*

Update:
This declamation piece won second place! ♥ View that post here.
The post contains pictures of me performing it, and me receiving the award. :'3 

Before I end this post, let me share some pictures of Alice in Wonderland and Emilie Autumn! I'm aching to post them here. xD If you want to view the pictures though, click read more. xD
~ ♥ DISCLAIMER: Pictures are all searched from Google. ♥ ~






 

Now I can finally end this post in peace! xD ♥

46 comments:

  1. this piece sure is... GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww! Thanks! ♥ Feel free to deliver this piece if you need to :3

      Delete
    2. Can I use this for my project? It's a really amazing piece and I'd love to deliver it with a few reviosions, if that's okay with you :3 My sister goes to CNU, too! she's in college, Education Major in Phys Sci :3

      Delete
  2. thanks for this one :) Do you have a video of this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha thanks! A lot of people from the audience took videos of me. They were all of low quality though, that's why I didn't think of uploading any of them :D

      Delete
    2. Thank you for this wondahful piece! Can i use it? Please? :D

      Delete
  3. I like this piece.. ^_^ Can use this as male version?

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a great help!!! can i use this? pretty please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello. Can I deliver this piece? I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i performed this one in our finals in english, and i'm one of the best performers in our class.. this is a very great piece, and i like it so much! kudos to you :) i owe you one ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww really? I'm proud of you! Thanks! I'm glad you liked the piece and used it! :D

      Delete
  7. Hello. Can I use this declamation piece in our final exam? please oh please. I really need it and I think it's the best piece to use and can I also just remove some part of it because our professor just gave us 2-3 mins. to perform. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ....hi... :) ... this is amazing! ... can i use it ??? ..pleaaaaaassssseeee?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can! Many youngins here have been using it! :D

      Delete
  9. Can i use this piece! It's so awesome! And btw, i'm Cebuana too!! Can i use this? Please? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI! It's nice to know you're from the same cityyyy! Yeeeeeah! Hahaha yes you may use this! :D

      Delete
  10. it is nice piece.. can i use this?

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is way cooler than the other pieces i saw. great great <3 ps, we have the same attitude . haha . introverts around.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, Minxie! This piece is utterly brilliant! Disturbing but moving...Truly, a product of a literary prodigy. Mind if I use this for my speech performance? I'd be glad to impress my professor with this declamation piece. Thank you! =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi.. Minxie! This written piece is a MASTERPIECE. I would like to ask your permission if I could use this for my speech activity. Also, since I'm a guy, would it be okay if I make some "male" modifications of the piece? I'd be glad to impress my teacher with this piece... =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi? Good day can I use this piece of yours for my finals on my speech class? Pleaese! Please! Pretty please with a cherry on top!*puppy dog eyes*

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can I use this piece. Coz it's screaming AWESOMENESS :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey. Please reply immediately. Pwede ko ba syang i summarize??? Please. Pero no problem, name mo parin gagamitin ko. Hehe. Tanong ko lng. Super haba kasi. Tnx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi :) Sana may video ka >.< Para makita ko kung paano mo dineliver yung piece mo :D Super ganda nitong piece na ginawa mo. And, I've decided na ito ang ipeperform ko for my final exam in our speech communication class. I hope you could help me :) Kahit low quality ang vid, basta marinig ko lang yung tono ng piece mo :D Great job :))))

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi! I like the piece! Can I use it? Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi minxie :) your work is wonderful. I'm asking your permission for me to use your declamation piece . Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  20. <3 <3 I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello :) i really wanted to use this piece i just wanted to know if it's fine to you ? i hope yes ..:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi this piece is amazing! You are amazing! :D I see a lot of people keep on requesting for a vid and i'm pretty sure you did great! Sana you could post it na soon! Hihi, doesn't matter if lq! Wanna see you lang din perform. Hehe! Congrats! More power girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! This piece is amazing! You are amazing! :D I see a lot of people keep on requesting for a vid and I'm pretty sure you did great! Wanna see you perform! sana soon you can find time to post it na here. :) Hehe! anyway, congrats! Youuu go girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a great piece!! I'm looking forward on using it... :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Can I use this declamation piece? I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. hi, pede ko po ba to gamitin for performance? pasend mo ng declamation piece, medyo nakakasilaw po kasi ung black na background hehe

    ReplyDelete
  27. HAHA! Thank you! My teacher told me to re-type it! HAHA! Copy | Paste..
    BTW, can I use this? There'll be an upcoming declamation contest in our school. I promise you I'll get the "W"! HAHA!
    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. May i ask kung ano ba yung pangalan nung girl na nasa selda? Is it Iracebeth? And um, Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi this is a great piece of yours! can i use this for my upcoming declamation contest? thanks :DDDDD

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's amazing and I really like it! Miss Minxie Villaver, can you lend me this? please??.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...